Tuesday, January 29, 2008

WHAT DID YOU SAY??


So I am totally deaf in my right ear since Saturday morning- this really sucks and tomorrow I am going to the doctor again to see if this is normal after 4 days of antibiotics. I mean I love the fact that we have "social medicine" here in Italy (ha ha ha-- as if it were really free), but they so suck at treating every day normal illnesses. I mean if you have a horrible illness or something chronic then there is no HMO saying you aren't allowed treatment etc- you just get in line with everyone else- but if you have something like an ear ache (which Madison had for 1 year solid until we had tubes put in - in the US) then they basically wait until you are deaf to do anything and then at that point they say "well you are deaf in one ear but you will live" - THANKS A LOT! I love living in Italy when I am driving through the countryside and the beauty really takes my breath away- the parks are basically safe places (even at night) my child's public school (that he will attend next year as day care is not yet available to all) does not require a metal detector etc. but the salaries stink, job market is super closed (if you are over 30 forget about finding a job and if you are a woman between the ages of 18-40 the first question on your interview is "do you plan on having children?" to which of course you answer "no, absolutely not- in fact I am sterile". but of course they don't believe you and don't want to pay for the eventual maternity leave (which if you have a job is great- 5 months paid leave and up to 2 years off where they must maintain your position) and so you don't really get the job. What else... can you tell I am surly these days... and NO - I am not having my period!

p.s. just looked at an ear health website and thank god I don't have ear maggots!

3 comments:

Nat D said...

ear maggots sound awful. the only thing i can think of that sounds worse is anal maggots.

Katherine C. said...

I hope that you feel better soon, Genie Weenie.

Clinton Gene Healey said...

Anal maggiots would DEFINITELY BE WORSE!!!