Thursday, January 31, 2008

A Birthday Tribute

Band on the run... today I am writing in memory.. in memory of what you ask? In memory. Today is January 31st 2008- today is also the birthday of my first love- Richard Cooper Crosby. I have not seen him in 14 years since we broke up a little after my 19th birthday. He subsequently married, had a child and now I believe is divorced. It just seems that every year when Jan. 31st rolls around I can't forget that it is his birthday. Band on the Run--was our song by default. Not because be both loved WINGS (although I am sure that everyone secretly does) but because strangely every time we got into my car (because even though he was year older he didn't have a driver's license and I did) the silvery Caprice Classic inherited from Gaggi & Poppi this song was on the radio. Not like once or twice, but like every time we got in the car for an entire summer. It was strange and remains permeated in my mind. Anyway, he was my first great love. I was sure we would marry and have oodles of kids, but alas this did not happen..for many reasons but mostly because I was 15 and he was 16 when we met and over the years people change. We were different in so many ways, but I am sure that the love that we had for each other at that time in our lives was real. As real as it gets anyway. I am now much older, married and have my own child and I live in another country so needless to say my life has changed a lot since 1994 when we broke up, but here's to you Richard... Happy Birthday where ever you are!

I would post a picture if I had one ....

4 comments:

Nat D said...

My Gawd, it was "Clinton and Richard" for so long, like you were one person!

Katherine C. said...

Oh dear. I, for one, am NOT sorry that and Richard did not end up 2-gether 4 -eva. But Happy Birthday Richard!

Clinton Gene Healey said...

I know. But we were so clintonandrichard for a very very long time

Clinton Gene Healey said...

Here we are 3 years later...we did connect, you now are no longer with us and you have left behind 3 children. You have left me without words...better to have loved and lost than never to have loved again. You will always be in my heart.