Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Villa in Sicily

All the Healey's are off to Sicily this summer. From Mema (87) the oldest to Brooks (18 months) the smallest we will all be there - sans the newlyweds Carden & John. Papa Healey has been planning this for a year now and since he will be celebrating his 60th birthday while we are there I can understand why. I can't wait for one. I have been to the states for the last 3 years in Summer and I have finally put my foot down and am bringing the family here to Italy - well almost Italy - Sicily!!!
Information on the area:
Acireale is a seaport city in the north-east of the province of Catania, Sicily (Italy), at the foot of Mount Etna, with mineral waters.
The Cathedral of Acireale in an early 20th century photograph.
The Cathedral of Acireale in an early 20th century photograph.

It is famous for its neogothic cathedral, Saint Peter's Basilica, and its paintings, such as The Basilica di San Sebastiano whose shapes summarize the entire baroque movement in Sicily. The oldest academy in Sicily, the "Accademia dei Dafnici e degli Zelanti" is located here.

2 comments:

Elizabeth H. said...

I am very jealous.

Cardene said...

You make me so sad that we cannot come. However, hopefully maddy moo is going naked and starting to learn to use the potty. Hopefully Hayes wayzer won't regress.